Although teeth are very strong, they can sometimes chip or fracture. If you’re suffering from a fractured tooth, call Emergency Dentist in London now on 02031376356. We’ll give you the next available emergency appointment to relieve your pain and restore your oral health.
Damage to the teeth may occur for several reasons:
- Biting down too hard
- Taking a knock to the face or mouth
- A bad fall
- Cavities (tooth decay) weaking the tooth
- Old fillings failing to support the tooth enamel
Minor cracks aren’t usually painful, while some fractures may hurt when chewing or upon exposure to temperature extremes. If you’re in constant pain, the nerve or blood vessels in the tooth are damaged and require root canal treatment.
What to do:
- Schedule an emergency appointment with your dentist.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water.
- Apply gauze to the bleeding area and hold it down for ten minutes or until the bleeding stops.
- Apply a cold compress to your cheek to reduce swelling.
- Take over-the-counter pain medication.
How your dentist will help:
- Minor cracks - The outer surface of the tooth just needs a simple polish to smooth out the damage.
- Broken cusps - If the chewing-surface of the tooth is broken, your dentist will restore the tooth with a crown or onlay.
- Cracked teeth - Cracks run from the cusp of the tooth through to the nerve. Your dentist may repair the crack with a filling material, but most often a crown is used. If the nerve is damaged, you may need root canal treatment.
- Serious fractures - These fractures expose the tooth nerve. In some cases, the tooth may be removed. Root canal treatment will be performed and the tooth restored with a crown.
Book your emergency appointment today!
Do you need urgent treatment for a fractured tooth? Call us now on 02031376356.