Visit a Dentist when You Need Urgent Dental Care
Posted on : 7th Sep 2016
Do you love hard food and chew on your pen? Have you recently met with an accident and hurt your face or mouth? Well, these are some causes that may break, crack or dislodge your teeth. It’s important to consult a dentist immediately because if left untreated, dental emergencies can lead to severe complications.
Teeth are extremely strong, but they can break, crack or chip if you:
- Bite hard food
- Get hurt in your mouth or face
- Fall suddenly
- Have cavities as they weaken the tooth
- Have large fillings that do not support enamel
What to do with broken and cracked teeth
- Broken tooth – If you have a broken tooth, see your dentist who provides emergency services. They will understand if it had occurred due to cavity or the nerve of the tooth is in danger. Damaged nerve will usually need to undergo root canal treatment. You need to rinse properly with warm water, use a piece of gauze on bleeding areas for at least 10 minutes till bleeding stops. In case it does not work, place a tea bag for the area to stop the bleeding. Apply a cold pack to lessen the pain and swelling.
- Cracked teeth – If you have a cracked tooth, it is advised to visit a dentist for urgent dental care. Sometimes the tooth may appear fine, but it will hurt when you eat or drink something hot or cold. It may have a damaged blood vessel or nerve if it hurts all the time. This is a serious indication of a cracked tooth if you feel uneasy when biting on something.
What the dentist will do
There are different kinds of teeth breaks and fractures that require appropriate treatment. Some of these include:
- Minor cracks – Slight cracks will have an effect on the outer white surface of the tooth, known as the enamel. Also known as craze lines, they hardly require any treatment. Your dental surgeon may polish the affected area to smoothen rough spots.
- Cracked tooth – This kind of fracture consists of the entire tooth, starting from chewing surface to the way down the nerve. The cracked pieces stay in place, but the crack will spread gradually. They can sometimes be repaired by using a filling material. Cracked tooth often will need a crown to prevent it from getting worse. If the pulp has damaged, you may need to go through a root canal treatment. Find a dentist who is available on Sunday as you never know when dental emergencies can occur.
- Split tooth – The tooth gets split vertically into two separate parts. Your back teeth consist of more than one root that enables to keep at least one root covered with a crown. For this, you have to undergo root canal and the expert will remove damaged root of the teeth. You will have to keep the root covered with a crown and replace the tooth. In case a root cannot be saved, your dentist will remove the tooth.
It is advisable to see a surgeon in case you have a broken or cracked tooth. Look for out of hour dentist as dental emergencies can happen anytime and if the surgeon is not available, you may have to suffer from severe teeth pain.